Friday, December 19, 2008

Calming down....

I wrote a blog this morning about my winter woes and my stress and anxiety that come a long with snow and mainly driving in the snow, and I have now made myself sick and completely freaked out. I am worried about driving to and from work this weekend, freaking out about my parents and Sara and Chad driving to Vegas, freaking out about my friends driving anywhere, there is a chance that I could end up with an overly emotional drive home tonight. So in an attempt to calm me down so that I can function in my ten hour work day (unless we get sent home because of snow) I would now like to post on the things that make me happy right now:

Christmas Music: I love it all, ok that's not true, some songs I'm like really, REALLY? The shoe song, I have to change the channel when it comes on. The one song that is like the 1-12th thing about Christmas that's such a pain to me... ugh! Songs I do love though- Manheim's Deck the Halls, brings a smile every time. I remember one day Colleen and I driving after having dumb Brad (not her husband) cut her tree down, and we were driving home BLASTING and conducting the song, we played it over and over again. *NSync's Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays- its probably embarrassing to admit that now but I just really like it. Do you hear what I hear- don't know what it is but I just like it. Josh Groban's O Holy Night, melts me every time.

Christmas Movies: My DVR is currently full of cheesy made for tv Christmas movies. We won't end up watching most of them but I love them still. And my holiday classics: A Muppet's Christmas Carol (how can you go wrong with Michael Cain and Kermit) and A White Christmas, how I love them both. I will watch both again on Christmas Eve. This weekend I'm going to go humor I think and watch Elf and Fred Claus (I haven't seen Fred Claus yet, so I'm hoping it is at least pretty good)

Christmas Shopping: Each year it's like my mission to find gifts that people will love. I get completely stressed over finding something that will be great. I usually go a little (or a lot) overboard. This year I really tried to cut back, since I'm trying to work on getting out of debt, but hopefully I still pulled off some great presents that people will love, especially Parker. I got him a kitchen. You might be asking a kitchen? I know I thought it was strange at first too, but hopefully he'll love it and hopefully it arrives in a big box, there is something about big boxes that makes the gift seem cooler!

Christmas cookies, without frosting: So I've been working really hard at losing my extra few pounds that I wanted to shed. I don't like a lot of Christmas treats so I've been doing pretty good (as of this morning only 2.5 to go :)) but my mom did her Christmas baking last Sunday and left at least a third of the cookies unfrosted. I had to practice great self control to only eat one a day, and the divinity... oh how I love that! My mom's is SO GOOD! I guess most people put nuts in it?? My mom doesn't. Luckily that is in the freezer or I could have eaten all of that in one sitting.

Friends: I don't see them nearly enough (see I work too much) but I love them. I don't know how I'd make it through life without them. I mean you may have just read how I freak out beyond what's rational about driving in the snow, well my regular life may not always be that bad but I have my share of freak outs, and my friends keep me grounded as much as they can. They believe in me, even when I don't believe in myself.

Work: I know I just said I work too much, it's true, but once I'm there (again with the fear of driving) I don't mind work most days. I am very very fortunate to have two jobs that take care of me, that I have friends at and that allow me to learn and grow and challenge me on a daily basis.

There are so many more things I'm thankful for: my family, Kami, the gospel, a closet full of shoes and clothes, my bed, my Christmas tree, my soft blankets, pajamas, chips and salsa, diet coke, and the list could go on and on, but for now I feel like I can function calmly and so I had better go get some work done.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Don't worry I have a ton of anxiety over snow too. I drove in a blizzard on the way home from picking Dylan up and I thought I was going to die. Now I am freaked about your family and mine going to vegas and for Bryan getting home safely. I hate hate the snow because of this.