Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Perspective....selfless or selfish?

I try to be a giving person, I want others to be happy, I want to help where ever I can. I want to work for others so they can have time off, I want to bring more than one person's share of treats to the party, I want to sit with you when you are having a bad day, I want to pick up the check at dinner or lunch when your funds are a little stretched.


In Wicked, Elpheba sings



"...No good deed goes unpunished
No act of charity goes unresented
No good deed goes unpunished
That's my new creed.
My road of good intentions
Led where such roads always lead.
No good deed goes unpunished!...

One question haunts and hurts
To much, too much to mention:
Was I really seeking good
Or just seeking attention?
Is that all good deeds are
When looked at with an ice-cold eye?
If that's all good deeds are
Maybe that's the reason why
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented
No good deed goes unpunished
Sure, I meant well -
Well, look at what well-meant did:..."


So where's does the difference lie? How can one person selflessly serve others? How do we make it completely about others and not about ourselves?

Like I said I like to do things for others, but do I do it because I like the attention in what sometimes feels like my invisible world, or do I do it because I genuinely care for those people and want to ease whatever burden they are carrying or to bring happiness to them. I would like to think the answer is 100% B but maybe it's not. Maybe it's a little of both. Does that make the service cheated in someway?

One of my goals that I made a couple months back was to serve more, and really I don't have an update how that one is going. The other goals I can look at and be like yes, taking continual good steps to get out of debt. Yes, proud of the weight loss that I've accomplished, or still need improvement in becoming spiritually stronger and more organized. But service is a hard one to measure, I mean I haven't done anything major, I haven't even shoveled my neighbor's driveway this winter, but are there little things that I do without noticing it's service to someone? I hope so, and I hope that I may be more aware through the year of ways that I can offer service to others whether the attention comes with it or especially if it doesn't.

2 comments:

Freddy said...

Elisha Elisha. :)
You are one of the most selfless people I know! You are ALWAYS so giving! You might time and time again feel as if you are doing it for attention but you have to remember the impact that you have on others! How you make them feel!
You are great Elisha!

Miss Megan said...

This reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe keeps doing things for others even though she hates it, so she can be truely "selfless". If you're doing good things specifically to help cheer someone up or make their burdens lighter, why is it a problem when it makes you happy too? You both benefit. I think that's why we're supposed to serve. It not only cheers the person you serve, but yourself too. Keep it up, Elisha! I agree with Freddy -- you are one of the most selfless, sincere, and kind people I know!