Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One Year Ago... and now my life has been changed forever!

January 8, 2008 was our first rehearsal for Little Women. I remember being SO nervous. The cast was incredibly talented, and I hadn't done a show in three years. I was so concerned about what the others were going to think of me, I'm sure I changed my clothes at least five times. I sat between Carly and Megan at the first read through, quiet for most of the night I'm sure. The first couple weeks of rehearsal seem a blur. I remember having to come RIDICULOUSLY early for the first couple Saturdays, until we all realized Carly would never be on time at that hour and moved it back a little. I remember Ricky's bright orange gloves, and how Craig hated them, scarves and hoodies,(it was cold inside as well as outside) Megan's colored socks, the trips to Maverick for Diet Coke and candy, Ricky and I adding our kiss in from the first blocking rehearsal and Megan not wanting to add hers in at all. Our first cast outing to the Village Inn, where our cast bond grew 100 times stronger, cupcakes for Jason's birthday, cupcakes and more treats for Valentines Day, changing and rechanging blocking and then changing it again once the director had left for out of town, like that hideous curtain call. It was amazing that in approximately 25 days of rehearsal we put together an amazing show, and made friendships that could easily last a lifetime.
Suzanne- wanted the show to be all it could be while making sure we all kep the rules in the Performing Arts Center, which we didn't since we were all drinking diet coke. Her role was hilarious and she played it so well. Even that time she didn't make her entrance on time and left Carly on stage to try and pick up a book taped to the fireplace

Candy was Marmee in every sense. Strong and confident and yet so caring and concerned about us. We loved her and she loved us. And her evil hag literally scared me every night, there was no need for acting.












Jason was the glue that often held us together, and still does. He is the party planner and the constant picture taker. He's the guy with the tough deep voice crying on stage with the girls. He made us all work harder and sing louder just from his energy.














Ricky was my husband and a cute one at that. He got really sick the week before we opened and ended up being my husband with a Barry White voice. He helped me during rehearsals to find the correct notes to make our blocking (and kiss) look amazing and was so fun to play opposite of. And what fun hair, it was a shame he had to cut it for the show.

Brandon was my notes buddy. We would sit and chat and not really listen to a lot of things being said. (I'm fairly confident we heard what was meant for us) Every night I would try to get him to mention I was the pretty sister (it says so in the script) on stage, but Brandon is professional and never did. He is the funniest guy and we always had a blast together during notes, hanging out backstage and our one awkward meeting scene together on stage.

Craig, where to begin with him, the kid is funny and passionate and moody and a friend. From his grand Rodrigo entrance which was constantly being critiqued, to his innocent looks of love for Jo, and then his battle with his character's choice to marry Amy. We all know that's how it's meant to be, but Craig hated it. He's such a good listener and friend and can make me laugh.

And now to my sisters!

















Megan, who to this day I still call Amy, was cast in the role as soon as she walked in the door. Her character is always getting yelled at in the show, whether Marmee or Meg or Jo is yelling it, there are a good many lines yelling "Amy!" She is such a sweetheart and such a fun person to be around. I remember the first time blocking the scene where Amy comes home from Europe after Beth has died and I believe Megan started tearing up after I was crying on stage. The emotion and bond between the sisters was something we had to act out, it was just something we felt. Megan had the slew of random costumes too. From the hideous purple dress they made her try on during rehearsal, and we couldn't even get through the scene because we were just laughing at her (thankfully they didn't end up using that dress) to her awesome troll outfit to her lovely wedding dress.













Carly was the sister I spent the least amount of time with because she was needed on stage and the "other sisters" had time to sit and bond. Carly is a lot like Jo, she has fire in her and she's so determined, which really was seen after her car accident this past year. She fought and got better and was still a person of strength for everyone. During the run of the show the thing I guess that Carly and I bonded over most was food, the girl can eat. I think we used to get in trouble for giving her food cause she'd sneak it on stage and eat it between her lines.


















And now my Deedikins. I remember her at auditions and being like holy crap, you were Nehebka inAida, you are amazing! I remember all of us had been offered our roles except for Deeds and she had to have a singing show down duet for the role and sitting in the back, crying while she sang, and talking to the choreographer saying there's no way he can pick the other girl right? Thankfully we had a wise director and he didn't pick the other girl. Deedee MADE the show! You can't help but fall in love with Beth (except for that one Beth Deedee and I saw in Little Women, I didn't not love her for a second) She is the compassion in the family, she is the hope, she is the peace and Deedee nailed every one of those. Today Deedee is the compassion, hope and peace in our friendship too. Deedee and I had a couple moments on stage every night, one would come while Marmee was reading Father's letter to us and we would steal a glance at each other, then our more public moment when she saves me from the evil Braxton and we share some magically cheesy hug on stage. I'd be lost without Deedee most days, she makes me want to be a better person each day, and I will always love her as a best friend and sister.

I am a different person because of my time involved with this show. I will forever cherish the memories and the people that were involved in making them.
The "other" sisters...
The faces Deedee makes that make me smile inside and out!



















And Megan's faces..

And Carly's faces..

6 comments:

C Ped said...

Oh that was SO great. I'm so glad you wrote about that! I had forgotten some of those things. What a great time we had!

PoppaMonkey said...

I didn't get to see all the behind the scenes love and bonding, but I sure loved the experience you created for me on stage.

It was stupendous! You could feel those connections that you all had in the audience.

NatBug said...

Hey I saw a picture of you in the Midvale City calendar that we got last week. It was of you and a couple of other girls from Little Women. Did you see it too?

Elisha said...

Yeah I saw it when I was looking for the write up on the Benefit Concert for my friend Shawn.

Miss Megan said...

Oh, how I love this post, Elisha! I just read it over and over... it was truely a life-changing experience and I am SO BLESSED that I got to share it with you! Thanks for being my big sister, and letting me help you with your costume changes... I love you!

Miss Megan said...

Hello, sister!
Guess what?! I just got cast as Amy again in Little Women at CenterPoint Legacy. Isn't that hilarious?! And Ricky is playing Professor Bhaer (in the other cast, sadly -- we hope to cross over at least once or twice). Wish you were playing with us again!!