Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A week away....

We flew out Monday morning, I had a window seat (over the wing of course) and sat next to a couple ladies I didn't know yet. We landed in JFK and took a people mover from the plane to the terminal. We got our luggage and went to meet our bus. I got seperated from the group and almost got really lost, luckily I stuck with my initial no I'm pretty sure I was supposed to get off on two rather than listen to the lady who was insisting I come this way on four, she was quite annoyed that I wasn't listening to her. We got on the bus and got to our hotel, checked in and were off. We walked and had dinner at Pronto's Pizza off of the plaza and then walked over to Rockerfeller Center. When walking over we saw Christian Slater coming out of NBC Studios.. A couple hours there and our first celebrity. We were feeling pretty cool. We made it to the top of Rockefeller and it was dark, the view was spectacular all lit up. The only regret I had about it being dark was that I couldn't see all the colors of central park. We met back at the hotel and then walked around time square and went to a late dinner at Lindy's diner.

Tuesday, we took a walking tour of 5th Avenue, Tiffany's, Trump Towers, the fancy church... I think my favorite part of 5th Avenue is we went to F.A.O Schwartz (the toy company) we got there a little before opening. The guard came out and welcomed us, rolled out a red carpet for us to walk on and then the store employees are lined up inside and aplaud you as you come in. I played on the BIG piano and loved all the HUGE stuffed animals. I am sad now that I didn't buy something for the munchkins there. We ate lunch in Rockerfeller Center and then went over for a tour of Radio City Music Hall. That place is grand and beautiful. It also has the fanciest women's lounge outside the restroom. After Radio City, I went over to H&M to do a little shopping. I met up with the group and we had dinner at a lovely french restuarant... then we went and saw Wicked. It was all that I hoped it was going to be. Loved every moment of it.
Wednesday we went to the Today show in the morning and we were on TV! We shook hands with Meredith and Ed McMann and saw others: Mark Wahlberg, Ann Curry, Billy Bush, Matt Lauer. After the today show we walked over to TKTS and bought tickets for All My Sons. Mel and I then went to Macy's for a little shopping for me. (thanks to Mel for putting up with me wanting to shop, when I know she was not interested) We visited the box office where Mel used to work and then after seeing Katie Holmes and Patrick Wilson arrive we ate a quick lunch and watched the show. It was fantastic. I didn't know too much about it going in and loved it. John Lithgow is amazing. Every character in the show was. After the show we were at the front of the baracade to get autographs. Such a fun afternoon.












We went back to TKTS and picked up tickets for the evening show of Hairspray. We ate dinner at Gallagher's steak house (good and pricey!) and then saw the show. I was a little concerned that George Wentz (Noooorrmmm!) was going to have a heart attack. I would love to play Penny one day in that show.
Thursday we went over to the Metropoliton Mueseum of Art. The building is beautiful and big. We walked around for a couple hours admiring the beauty of it all. Afterwards we walked through central park, where I sang from Enchanted in a little corner for fun.















We walked and saw Strawberry fields. Afterwards we took
much needed naps. I know Sara, sleep when I'm dead... but I was feeling like death was around the corner if I didn't take a nap soon. We met the group for dinner at Ellen's Stardust diner, where Ryan Simmons (best known around here as the Nerd or Lumiere at HCT) is a singer. He is so funny. He sang a little of "I Write the Songs" to me. After dinner we went and saw Lion King. The costumes and the stage are beautiful. The opening Circle of life brings tears to your eyes. Afterwards we took a group photo in Times Square.

Friday we went on a circle line tour around Manhattan. (I don't think I'm a boat girl) We saw Ground Zero from a distance, we saw the Statue of Liberty (which was smaller than I had imagined) we saw the brooklyn bridge and a couple others and just took in the beauty of the skyline. We walked around the Greenwich and SOHO districts and stopped in a lovely little restaurant where I had some delicious macaroni and cheese. That night we went to The Little Mermaid. I loved it, actually more than Lion King (although I was the only one in the group to feel that way)The scene where Eric falls off the boat and is drowning is beautiful. The gliding on heeley's was great and how they could dance on the balls of their feet and switch to gliding so quickly was just great. After dinner we went to Planet Hollywood for dinner.
Saturday we went to Little Italy and Chinatown. The experience is one not to miss. From the opening smelly fish markets and dried food stands to the people selling fake purses in vans and backrooms. I loved it. And right in the middle of Chinatown in a Hagen Das ice cream store... best ice cream cone I've had in a while. After our fill on shopping we ate the best pasta in a restaurant in Little Italy. I had penne pasta in a garlic olive oil sauce... so good. I could probably eat it every day. When we got back, I headed over to Mary Poppins by myself. It was not what I wanted it to be. By the end of the show I liked it but I was just wanting more disney and less of the other parts of the story Disney didn't include in the movie. Step in Time was by far my favorite number. At the part where they sing over the rooftops step in time, Bert dances up and across the proscenium. We ate dinner at Carnagie Deli, where I sold out and had grilled cheese instead of a sandwhich with enough meat to feed three or four at least. The onion rings were really good and I thoroughly enjoyed my grilled cheese. We went over to Spamalot where Clay Aiken had the night off, which was ok because his standby was great! The show is so funny. After the show Michael and Barbara came over and watched part of Saturday Night Live with us.

Sunday morning we woke up and rode the subway and then walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful walk. Then it was a quick lunch at Playwright Tavern (where they use fancy fancy lettuce in their salads) and back to catch a bus to the airport. The driver got lost multiple times and instead of getting to the airport with a couple hours to spare like planned we got there an hour before our flight left. Thankfully we made our flight with no problem and it was home to Salt Lake, a place I love even more now that I left for a week. I love looking out the big windows at work and seeing colorful trees and blue skies rather than another building.

Well there you have it. I am still spinning or at least the room is from the boat and the subway and hope it stops soon. All and all it was a great experience and I loved seeing shows on Broadway. And now back to normal life until next month when I head to Disneyland.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Looks like you had so much fun! It makes me want to go to NYC so much!

NatBug said...

That was a great trip! I am so jealous, I would love to go there and shop my heart out, that is until the store cuts my credit card in half and I run out crying! And all those celebs, so cool, are you part of their entourages now? Love ya!

Sarah said...

ooh. i'm so glad you went and had a wonderful time. Also, i look forward to re-reading your blog sometime when the pictures come up. Apparently my workplace things your new york pictures are "pornography." So you may want to talk to your bishop...

L.K. McIntosh said...

How fun! I talked to Mel a little bit the other day about the trip but I loved reading about all the fun things you did! It sounds like you had an absolute blast.

Kelly and Megan said...

Hey, Elisha! I found your blog from Whitney. Your trip looks fabulous! I went to NYC with my mom a couple of years ago. Definitely one of my most favorite places! I love all the great pictures you got. Glad to hear you are doing well!