Growing up I remember birthdays were always a big deal. Party with our friends one day, party with our family another day, going out to dinner somewhere. Then as I grew up more, it was cake with the family, maybe a small dinner outing with a couple friends , possibly a combined birthday dinner with the family? And more recently- Two years ago, my friend Mark's wedding dinner was on my birthday. I love Mark and so was happy to give him most of the happy wishes for the day. After his dinner we went back to my apartment and had cake with the family. I believe that weekend I stayed at my parents house, Sarah and Robin took me out to dinner and Sarah gave me themed you'll only be 25 once presents. Last year, Sarah and Robin took me to dinner the night before my birthday, we ate I opened presents and then went out to the theatre and back home. My friend Ali got married on my birthday and again, I was happy to give her the wishes. I hugged and was excited for her. Between the ceremony and reception, I had a good afternoon with Josh and his boys, then met my parents at Ali's reception, got my present from the trunk of the car and was off to dog sit alone at my uncles.
This year there was no wedding or wedding dinner, but all of the sudden we are all grown up, jobs and other commitments take over our time and we have only enough time for maybe a quick text or a message on facebook or maybe there is not enough time for even that. My parents and Sara and Chad headed to St. George for Sara to run in the marathon, so I stayed home and watched Kami, Mandy and Leia. The dogs woke me up at 6am (I usually don't even wake up that early on days that aren't my birthday or on days that I have to go to work...) But so then I was up. I baked my cake, granted my mom offered to make me a cake the next day, and Sarah offered to figure out something amid her 16 hours of work, but that seemed like too much of a hassle and I had the day free so I baked. I painted my bathroom, which I now dislike, I then decorated my cake... it turned out alright.
I picked up dinner and ate with the dogs drooling at my feet. That night Jonny McB agreed to be my date to see Into the Woods. The show was good, it was funny (especially when Granny fell on the rotating band.)Bryan did an excellent job. After the show Jon and I headed to dinner with Ryan and Deedee and Bryan, we went to Chili's for terrible service, wrong orders for half and an overall less than average experience. And then, just as it started, I was off to bed with two large dogs and a growing puppy. So now I am another year older and hopefully a little bit wiser.
And while it wasn't maybe the birthday I had in mind, I do have a lot to be thankful for this past year.. My family, My friends- the ones who have come and stayed, the ones who have come and gone, the ones who make an occasional appearance, my dog, my health, my home, the gospel, and so much more.
I can't wait to see what blessings this year will hold for me.
.jpg)
3 comments:
growing up kindof sucks. sometimes i get the impression that you can only really enjoy holidays after you're grown up when you see them through the eyes of children (like how you like Christmas again).
I am sorry I wasn't around on your birthday.
Man, i TOTALLY used to have a way more awesome imagination because I have no idea what I would get someone with a themed present of "you're only 25 once."
Lovely post from a lovely person. I am also sad I didn't get to see you on your birthday, but know that I was thinking of you... and thinking how lame a text was, but it was my only option.
You are great, and there are great things in store for you!
Well, I guess that I am a friend that makes an occasional appearance, but I do want you to know that I love you and I am glad that you were one of the rare few people that didn't judge me for things that I had done in the past! I am glad that we get to keep in touch through blogging. Also, I did remember your birthday, I hope that even though it was an average and less than eventful day you still feel that you are loved!
It amazes me that I am nearing 30 years old. I used to think that was so old! And I understand, sure birthdays change. Wait until you have kids one day and your birthday consists of laundry, bills, no cake and a night out 1 week later! So, Happy Belated Birthday Elisha!!!
Post a Comment