Thursday, October 21, 2010

Everything I need to know, I've learned from...

Plays, Musicals and Show tunes in General.

The Drowsy Chaperone is a marvelous play, currently in production at the Hale Centre Theatre. I’m fortunate to be running a spotlight and get to listen to the life lessons in it each night. My favorite:
“…to those people I say, “Shut Up”” (Man in Chair)

What? People don’t agree with everyone all the time… It’s true and because people are different with different minds and different priorities and different needs we aren’t always going to agree. So even though you may feel something is important for me to do and think or whatever, to you I say “Shut Up”

There are others in the show and in other shows; I’ll let you in interrupt how you would like. But at one moment or another each has touched me, haunted me, made me laugh or made me cry. Just proving, to me, that I’m a better person because of my association with the arts.

“And I know you’re afraid, I’m as scared as you are. But willing to be brave, brave enough for love.”

“And if I sing with all my heart, I am home.”

“Could we bend the laws of nature, could a lion love a lamb? Who can see beyond the surface, who will love me as I am?”

“Do I chance it, or would it just be better not to know?”

“Forgiveness is the mightiest sword; forgiveness of those you hate could be your highest reward”

“Funny the things you think about, funny the things you don’t. Funny the things that fade away, funny the things that won’t.”

“Getting your dreams, it’s strange but it seems, a little, well, complicated.”

“Happiness is two kinds of ice cream”

“Highs and lows, tears and laughter, gimme happy ever after”

“I want to make you smile whenever you’re sad”

“I’d give it all for you”

“If life were made of moments, even now and then a bad one, but if life were only moments, then you’d never know you had one.”

“If you don’t like your fate, change it! You are your own master”

"I'm pretty"

“I’m not afraid of anything, be it growing old or going out of style”

“It never took much convincing to make me believe in you”

“It’s about one moment, that moment you think you know where you stand. And in that one moment, the things that you’re sure of slips through your hands… and you thought you knew, but you didn’t have a clue”

“It’s easy to hide, easy to hide from the things that you feel and harder to blindly trust what you can’t understand.”

“Make them hear you”

“Never eat anything bigger than your head”

“No one is alone, truly no one is alone. Sometimes people leave you half way through the wood, others may deceive you, you decide what’s good. You decide alone, but not one is alone.”

“Not all dreams are great big dreams; some people’s dreams are small”

“People say [I love you] when they say, “Take an umbrella, it’s raining” or “Hurry Back” or even “Watch out, you’ll break your neck.” There are hundreds of ways of wording it- you just have to listen for it, my dear”

“Some things are meant to be”

“Sometimes there are battles that are more than black and white”

“Sometimes when you dream, your dreams come true”

“Tell me where’s the challenge, if you never try?”

“Though hope might seem in short supply, you have to move on, you have to try”

“…To try, when your arms are too weary, to reach the unreachable star.”

“When they finally saw him, why he hadn’t done any of those things . . . Atticus, he was real nice. . . .” “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

“Yes it’s amazingly true, for whatever it’s worth, Charlie Brown, you’re you.”

5 comments:

Robin said...

love this.

Candice J said...

Those are my favorite quotes too!! I'm so glad you put them in one place. I might have to blog about them too!

Patsy said...

Awesome. Great things to think about.

Bailee said...

Love this post, Elisha. So true :) and there were some great quotes.

I love that you quoted Jane Eyre the Musical. That was my first show ever, holds a special place in my heart. :)

Cute post, love you!

Sarah said...

I like this post because it's totally true. YAY for truthy!