Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I am...

There is no such thing as a 'self-made' man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.
-George Burton Adams-

I have always said that my mom and I are the same person just twenty years apart, and my mom and my grandma are the same person, which means one day I'll be my grandma.

I have said, and it's been said to me, that Sarah and I, or Deedee and I are the same person. In high school, Ali and I were the same person. In relationships I have been the girl version of the guy I was dating.

This being said, I know that I am who I am becuase of the people, past and present, in my life and the lessons they have taught me: I know how to laugh, I know how to love, I know how to cry, I know how to fall and get back up on my feet, I know how to serve, I know how to listen to the Spirit, I know how to appreciate the beauty in the world, I know how to work, I know how to clean (even if I don't always use it), I know how to put others first, I know the power of arts, and the power of music. I know a hug can make all the difference in a day I know how to listen, and how silence can be as poweful as talking.

I am my mom, my dad, my sister and twin brother
I am my friends
I am my nephew and niece
I am my extended family
I am my church leaders
I am my school teachers, and principals
I am my bosses and coworkers
I am my advisors, and directors
I am my ex-boyfriends
I am my babysitters and the children I babysat
I am my dogs
I am who I am because of everyone.

No comments: