
"Once upon a time, happily ever after. The stuff we tell are the stuff of dreams. Fairy tales don't come true. Reality is much stormier, much murkier, much scarier. Reality, it's so much more interesting than living happily ever after."
It is true, I am one of those girls who often (very often) just wants my fairytale, I want my happily ever after. But, we aren’t living fairytales, we are living reality. And sometimes, reality is awesome, and sometimes it just plain sucks! We work, we date, we break up, we stay stuck in the same rut over and over or at least most of the time it seems that I do. Last night was the Grey’s Anatomy season premiere... I love that show and it was all that I needed it to be last night. One of my favorite parts of the show was when Meredith was asking Christina (again) about her future with Derek. Christina, who is going through her own self crap, replies... "Shut up," Meredith prattles on. "No, just shut up about Derek. Shut up about moving in with Derek. Shut up about your relationship. Because, you want to know what? I've heard it all before. Yeah, you know, you guys get together and I have to listen to it. And then you guys break up and I have to listen to it. So please, please, please, as you weigh your options here, just consider the possibility of shutting the hell up, because I can't listen to it anymore."
I personally first found joy in her comment. I’m sure I have had friends want to say almost word for word those words to me. First, siding with Meredith, it is easy to get into a “me me me” rut where we don’t see much past the crap in our lives. I’m a lucky girl to have friends that not only listen to my crap over and over and still love me, but support me in what sometimes seems like the crazy decision. How similar are my friendships to Meredith and Christina’s. At the end of the episode, Meredith is again talking to Christina about her relationship with Derek and tells Christina that she is her person and needs her support, and so she needs her to believe or at least pretend to believe that it’s going to work. Christina agrees. My friends here are no different, they believe in me and give me the hope I need to make me think that I can make things work, regardless of what the decision being made is...It is sometimes terrifying to make that big decision, right or wrong. But knowing that you have the confidence of someone behind you is hopefully empowering enough to get through.
Siding now with Christina, how many times can people listen to the same thing, without wanting to yell? I believe 100% that a person has to make their own final decision. If everyone else thinks your relationship is unrealistic and should never have been or never should be, great that’s their opinion, but it can only be your decision. But I say to myself, if you aren’t willing to take into account the advice people give you when YOU ASK and really act on it, then Shut up, until you do make the decision to make things different. (Advice that people just freely give because they feel like they need to save you or fix you, to them I say Shut UP! You are probably trying to help but, in the land of reality, you are making things worse.)And so I recognize that in my life, am I really doing anything to change the rut that I’m in? And if not well than at some point, and probably sooner than later I need to Shut UP!
Another aha moment in Grey’s last night...
Nurse Rose. Don’t get me wrong, I am a Derek and Meredith fan, but I do feel bad for Nurse Rose, and don’t blame her for being all crazy like for a few moments... Stabbing may have been uncalled for but I think it was partly on accident, but what a crap situation to be in. Trust me I kind of know. It is NEVER easy to see the person you loved and had a relationship with move on in front of you. So twenty points to her for removing herself from the situation, I think she’ll feel much better and a whole lot less crazy!
I’m so excited to see what this season holds for the doctors and Seattle Grace and to see what it holds for me in my life.
In an unrelated note, but just as important... HAPPY BIRTHDAY JON! Thank you for making me smile and laugh. These past four years together have been awesome! From our start over a can of Pringles, to Footloose- twice, to the cabin trip and our awesome planned lunch, to riding the samari together, to talks and dinners and movies and music videos.. I’m a lucky girl to have you!

.jpg)
2 comments:
I watched Grey's Anatmy too! I thought that it was great! It was a very interesting show because I did not see most of the last season. I guess that I will have to check my DVR and see if the episodes are on there so I can catch up. Go Season Premiere Week!!!
Just wanted to throw out a "Elisha Rocks." I'm glad we are friends. :)
Post a Comment