Friday, April 15, 2011

Audition Thoughts

I've never auditioned for more than one show at a time. I've been pretty fortunate that the shows I've wanted seem to fall in order and I know about one before I have to worry about the next. That isn't the case this summer. I have two shows that I'm considering, that I've talked the husband into auditioning for together, (you know a good bonding time together) The auditions fall within two days of each other. Callbacks for the first are in fact on the audition day of the second, and the first rehearsal for the first would be the day of callbacks for the second. (Did you catch all that?) There is one part in each show I would LOVE to play, I don't know dream roles, but I don't really know that I have a DREAM role. But as stated I would love to play either one. As far as non-lead roles (cause both LOVE parts are leading roles) I don't know that I have a preference one over the other.

Well this isn't a high school dance, where the (unspoken) rule was you go with the person who asked first. I think often, always, that theatres will do what is best for them when casting a show. It may not be what you consider the best talent, it could be the best look for the role, it could be the best previous relationship, it could be a number of the "bests" for them, but they are always looking out for themselves. Which they deserve to, I mean it is THEIR show. But at the same time, shouldn't an actor also get the opportunity to do what's best for them without consequence? I've heard don't audition or say you'll accept this part and then tell us no later or it could affect you working here in the future, and so forth. But I don't know that I won't get the LOVE to role of the second show until after already having to give an answer to the first (on the assumption the first offers me a role) So shouldn't I have that right to be like thank you for this opportunity and I'm sorry but a better opportunity has presented itself and I get to choose which is best for me.

See my dilemma? I guess we'll wait and see how life plays out.

On a side note, dear theatres, I super love when you have audition forms for people to fill out online before they get to their actual addition. Thank you, that is all.

No comments: