Thursday, July 15, 2010

Left-Handed Worries

So, as previously mentioned in the blog yesterday, next week I’m having surgery to take care of the problem that is the carpal tunnel in my right hand/wrist. I’ve done extensive reading online about the surgery, I’ve even watched a video, maybe not the best idea… I’ve talked to the lady at work, who had surgery 3 months ago (same idea but the more intense surgery) to try to get all the insights possible on the procedure and recovery and what not. And still, there is a lot of unknown. Like how long will I really not be able to fully use my right hand? On most of the websites, it says people return back to work in about 2-3 WEEKS.. Let’s be realistic here, even if I have to type with one hand while one sits on a fluffy pillow I will definitely be back at work on Monday at the latest. I will be back at rehearsal (even if just to sit and watch) that night or the following night should I be really in a funk post surgery. Life doesn’t get to stop because I had hand/wrist surgery. Before you offer your advice in my comments, I know I can only push as far as the incision and cut ligament will let me and I know that even with a show opening three weeks afterwards that I need to be realistic. I know all that, but as cool as it sounds, I can’t just lie in bed for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn’t lie in bed for 2-3 weeks even if I didn’t have a show to do… Back to the title subject, there are a couple things I’m nervous about not being able to do for a few days to a week. Holding a lantern or parasol should probably be near the top since I need those abilities for the show, but whatever I can do without those for a week and a half before I get fidgety, things that do make me uneasy now to think of…. Eating left handed. I mean I use my fork in my left hand when I’m cutting food and don’t want to take the time to switch back, but just eating left handed the whole meal is sometimes difficult, I better eat with a spoon just in case. Up next, trimming my nails, I have this abnormal obsession almost with trimming my fingernails, filing them, cutting my cuticles. Bryant has said he will help with me this but the thought of not being able to grip the fingernail clippers or cuticle cutters makes me weirded out. This morning another one came to mind- Plucking my eyebrows. I didn’t attempt it left handed this morning in fear that I’d end up just missing a portion of eyebrow. I guess for the week or so that I can’t grip really well I’ll have to just have a little bit of out of control in the eye brow department. I guess I can always have someone wax them for me, but that seems so scary and intense. I’m wondering how bobby pins and pin curls will work for cast photos, but I have a week for that so I’m guessing/hoping I’ll be fine. I can’t even fathom what other things are going to come up that will have me frazzled; doing my hair, my make-up, putting my contacts in, using the restroom, cooking dinner, scooping ice-cream. It could turn into an interesting and ugly week. Good thing I have a left-handed husband who can maybe teach me a few things.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Being left-handed is the best. I think you will love it and switch over to our side!

Sarah said...

i hope you're getting awesome help on doing your hair for things like cast photos. :)