Last Saturday, I auditioned for Hale Centre Theatre's Pirates of Penzance. I had been working on a song for a month with my voice teacher Cecily and her husband Justin. (sidenote: Thank you Cecily for always picking songs for me that everyone won't be singing!) I practiced and practiced and practiced some more especially after Cecily almost banged her head against the piano in frustration over a couple of my vowel sounds...whoops. I had shopped for an hour and half for the perfect outfit with the husband on Thursday and I was ready. I looked GREAT (because sometimes that's what works for me :)) I walked into the audition hall and some people did a double take and barely recognized me.. I guess I normally look somewhat relaxed at the theatre (you know, jeans and black, hair in a pony tail...) well not that day! I turned in my audition packet and sat down waiting for my turn. They called my name to line up for the group, I was FIRST. I hate being first in the group. I tried to shake it off and not be nervous cause I was prepared. I went in, stood on the X, Sally D said my name and Kelly played my starting chord. I sang my song and sat down, feeling slightly discouraged because I think I sounded better in the car... the remaining four guys and one girl in my group sang and then we exited the room and waited to see if we were being asked to come to callbacks. I really wasn't sure if I would or not, but Seth came out with a list, said a couple of the guys names, the other girl's name another guy name and then my name. Whew! It hadn't been my best audition but I was given another chance to prove myself. Seth gave us music to learn for callbacks and I went on my way (to change into my jeans and black)
Sunday I worked on the callback song over and over. Kami would come into the computer room, see that I was still singing and walk back out. I ran to the condo, picked up a girly shirt and my favorite green shoes and I was ready again. Well mostly. Monday morning to assure I felt prepared I listened to the callback song on repeat. You should know the song is only 1.5 minutes long, yes that means I listened to it 40 times an hour! And I listened to it for multiple hours...I ran home after work, touched up my curls and headed to the theatre. I found a seat in the very crowded room, got my callback number and was ready for the night. As I sat there, something new was happening. I was sitting just feeling good, I wasn't nervous...(the first as mentioned in the title) We sang in quartets, the alto in my group played Vi Moore the first time I had done Footloose so I felt like I was singing with a friend and it was easy to play off of her and work together. Then we did improve and again I got to play opposite a guy that I knew, a guy that I had been sitting by most of the night. It felt comfortable and fun. I was asked to stay and learn a dance routine, and while I was feeling like I was having a harder time picking it up, when it came time to perform, I remembered the steps and was next to a girl, who I admire her spirt and spunk and again could feed off of it. I left callbacks that night without the feeling of "oh I should have done this, or why did I do that?" I just felt great. They didn't tell us when we will know if we have made the show or not, so I don't have some big finale to tell. But I felt so good leaving the callback that even if it turns out I don't make the show, I am proud and felt like I belonged at the callback.
In other news... I hung out with Kami last weekend. I miss having a dog most days, but know we wouldn't have the time to give to one and that would be unfair. I babysat the kids on Friday night, with help and they slept over. Maelie's first sleepover!! She woke up once but quickly fell back asleep. A great night. Bryant has been working hard on his diet and is almost down 20 pounds! I am a proud wife.
And lastly this week I got to go and share in a celebration of my friend Bradford's dear wife. She passed away last week after a five year battle with brain cancer. What a beautiful person and someone who I knew very little, but learned so much of how I want to live life like.
Backstage at Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
10 years ago
.jpg)
5 comments:
I'm so glad that you went to the auditions. That was my first show at Hale (the old theater on Main Street). I hope you get it. If not, you had an awesome audition and callback. And sometimes for me, that's just as good. :)
It's true, and for me, today, it's enough too. The confidence I need for the next audition (I still hold in reserve the right to cry if I don't make it... just in case I get to that point)
I love this. You are amazing.
Yaaay! I am so proud of you, sister! You worked hard, you were prepared, and you did all you could. That's the best feeling ever! I have my fingers crossed for you :D
Sounds like you did a great job Elisha! Even if you don't get the part knowing that you did your best is sometimes all that matters!
Post a Comment